Since the closing of the Port Ellen distillery, bottlings from this facility have become more exclusive than ever. The original distillery was situated on the isle of Islay and was initially established as a mill back in 1825. Under owner John Ramsay, the mill converted to a distillery from 1833 to 1892. In 1925 the distillery was acquired by the Distillers Company, and after a refurbishment in 1967, it continued production throughout the 1970s.
Unfortunately, in 1983, the distillery closed down – although supplies of its rare single malt whiskies are still available today, as real collector’s items.